South America Revealed with Galapagos Legend East Cruise
Brochure Type: Latin America 2022
You'll feel just like a local on this South American tour as you go from Rio's gorgeous beaches to vibrant capitals, national parks, and the Inca heart of Peru, learn to samba and mix the perfect caipirinha. Then let loose your inner explorer meeting giant tortoises, turtles and sea lions, cruising the Galapagos Islands.
- Explore Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Lima and Cusco with a Local Specialist
- Visit Sugarloaf Mountain, the Christ the Redeemer statue, Iguassu Falls, Pisac, Ollantaytambo ruins, Machu Picchu, Sacsayhuaman and the Larco Museum
- See the Teatro Colon, Copacabana Beach and the Casa Rosada
- Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train
- Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley
- Connect with Locals Dine at the home of a local family in the bohemian neighbourhood of Palermo Soho with its European-style homes and hip attitude.
- Connect with Locals Visit a local market with Chef Ignacio and enjoy a special lunch at his cooking school.
- Dive into Culture Enjoy cusquenian dishes and a folkloric dance perfomance.
- Dive into Culture Visit a local chicheria for some traditional chicha tasting.
- Dive into Culture Experience the beauty of the Tango and learn about its traditions.
- Dive into Culture Guided visit to the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world.
- Dive into Culture Visit the Pisac market displaying indigeneous Quechua arts and crafts from communities from the surrounding highlands.
- Dive Into Culture Visit a Samba school to see and experience this symbol of Brazil.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Meet a master Quechua weaver and ambassador for Andean traditions.
- Stays with Stories Stay at Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay, a former 18th-century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley.
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 2 Be My Guests
- 20 Breakfasts
- 3 Regional Dinners
- 5 Lunches
- 6 Dinners
- A Trafalgar bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Rio de Janeiro to Iguassu, Iguassu to Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires to Lima, Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
Call (419) 541-1119 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627883
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 21 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Rio de Janeiro||Welcome to Rio de Janeiro: Immerse yourself in the tropical allure of Rio de Janeiro - your launch pad to a South American exploration of capital cities and ancient cultures. Meet your local host on arrival and transfer to your hotel offering superb views of Copacabana Beach. This evening, we'll join our Travel Director and fellow travellers for a festive Welcome Reception.|
|Day 2||Rio de Janeiro||Enjoy Rio de Janeiro and Sugarloaf Mountain: Ease into your morning Rio-style before joining your Travel Director to delve into the captivating contrasts of Brazil's cidade maravilhosa (marvellous city). See the 18th-century Carioca Aqueduct, the colonial Candelaria church and the home of the Rio Carnival, the Sanbodromo. Ascend Sugarloaf Mountain via cable car for a 'pinch me moment' of inspiring bay and city views. Enjoy a free evening.|
|Day 3||Rio de Janeiro||Uncover the Sights and Flavours of Rio de Janeiro: The iconic Christ the Redeemer beckons this morning as we journey by cogwheel train to the summit of Corcovado for impressive panoramic views. Returning to the city, we visit the shores of Copacabana and Ipanema, spending the rest of the day at leisure to watch Rio's beautiful people living life to the fullest. This evening, learn how to mix the perfect caipirinha, then indulge in a sizzling Regional Dinner barbecue at a local churrascaria.|
|Day 4||Iguassu Falls||Experience the Rhythms of Rio de Janeiro and off to Iguassu Falls: Spend the morning at leisure, then visit a Samba school where you'll Dive Into Culture, gaining insights into how the school prepares for the pageantry of Carnival week. View the colourful costumes and sway your hips Rio-style as you learn how to Samba. We leave the city behind and fly to Iguassu Falls. This evening, we'll enjoy dinner together at our hotel.|
|Day 5||Iguassu Falls||Soak in the Brazilian Side of Iguassu Falls: Explore the Brazil side of Iguassu Falls, joining a Local Specialist in the UNESCO-listed Iguassu National Park for a walk through the rainforest to the base of the falls. Indulge in lunch at a local restaurant against the backdrop of the falls before returning to your resort for an afternoon at leisure. Consider joining one of our optional experiences, including a jetboat ride (^) to the base of the falls or visit a tropical bird reserve, home to more than 500 species of birds.|
|Day 6||Iguassu Falls||Discover the Argentinian Side of Iguassu Falls: Cross the border into Argentina to see the falls from a different perspective. Meet your Local Specialist, then board an open-air ecological jungle train through the rainforest and walk along the catwalk peering down into the swirling waters of Devil's Throat Falls. We leave this force of nature behind for the sophisticated Argentinian capital of Buenos Aires.|
|Day 7||Buenos Aires||Explore Buenos Aires: Connect with the seamless mix of European elegance meets Latin energy, joining your Local Specialist for a guided tour of Buenos Aires' most notable sites, including the iconic Casa Rosada and colourful neighbourhood of La Boca. Admire the opulent facade of Teatro Colon, then visit the Recoleta Cemetery, where Argentina's beloved former first lady, Eva Peron (Evita), is buried. This evening, indulge in the delicious flavours of Argentine beef during a Regional Dinner. Later, we'll Dive Into Culture, ending the evening with a stirring, sensual Tango performance.|
|Day 8||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires Your Way: Enjoy a full day at leisure to pursue your own interests in the 'Paris of South America'. Admire the works of Degas, El Greco and Van Gogh at the Museum of Belles Artes or sample delicious dulce de leche ice-cream at the famous Cafe Tortoni. Feeling adventurous? Consider an optional trip into the countryside to visit a traditional estancia (ranch), including a lively equestrian show and traditional parrillada (barbecue) lunch. Later, we'll Connect With Locals, joining a family at their home in Palermo Soho for a dinner during our Be My Guest experience.|
|Day 9||Lima||Venture to Lima, the City of Kings: We leave one capital behind for another, travelling to Peru's capital, Lima. On arrival, transfer to your hotel in San Isidro.|
|Day 10||Lima||Savour the Flavours of Lima: Francisco Pizarro's 'City of Kings' is ours to explore this morning as we discover the colonial heritage of Lima's UNESCO-listed Historic Centre with our Local Specialist. Admire the ornate baroque facades of the Church of San Francisco and discover its hidden catacombs. Celebrate Lima's status as the culinary capital of South America next, and meet Ignacio Barrios who has worked alongside many of Peru's most award-winning chefs. Visit a local market where Ignacio will explain how Peruvian fruits, vegetables, seafood and meats are the basis of Peruvian cooking. Then continue to his cooking school where you'll Connect With Locals and enjoy a demonstration on how to prepare some of Peru's most popular dishes. You'll have an opportunity to sample some of these at a Be My Guest experience lunch before spending the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 11||Sacred Valley||Admire the Local Culture of Cusco and Sacred Valley: Board a morning flight to Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Dive Into Culture and visit the Pisac market displaying Quechua arts and crafts. Connect With Locals and meet Nilda Callanaupa Alvarez, a master Quechua weaver, and the first person from her village to attend university. She been an ambassador for Andean traditions since she began learning ancient pre-Columbian weaving techniques as a young girl in the 1960s. Your MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience helps to preserve and promote traditional pre-Columbian weaving techniques in the 21st century. End the day at your Stays With Stories, a former 18th-century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley.|
Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay
|Day 12||Machu Picchu||Journey to Machu Picchu: The Sacred Valley reveals its mysteries today as we encounter the remains of the mighty Inca empire. Our first stop this morning is the famous Inca hilltop fortress, Ollantaytambo, built from massive blocks of stone. We board the Vistadome train (light snack included) for our epic journey to the UNESCO-listed Machu Picchu, where a Local Specialist will lead us through the ruins of this once-great fortress. Explore the iconic great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and the Intihuatana, an intricately carved rock most likely used as a sundial centuries ago. Tonight, we'll dine at our hotel.|
El Mapi by Inkaterra
|Day 13||Cusco||Continue in Machu Picchu then Return to Cusco: We return to Machu Picchu this morning with an opportunity to explore this mythical fortress on our own terms. If you're feeling energetic, consider hiking up to the Gate of the Sun for thrilling views over the fortress and valley below. Then it's off to Cusco, stopping en route at a local chicheria for a taste of chicha. Dive Into Culture and learn how this Peruvian corn beer is made by local women.|
|Day 14||Cusco and Sacsayhuaman||Explore Cusco and Sacsayhuaman: Explore the Incan and Spanish roots of the 'Imperial City', unlocking its best kept secrets, including the 17th-century Church of Santo Domingo, built atop the foundations of the Inca Temple of the Sun. Later, we'll venture with our Local Specialist beyond the city to the ruins of Sacsayhuaman. This evening, we'll Dive Into Culture at a local restaurant for a Regional Dinner of Cusquenian flavours against the backdrop of a traditional dance performance.|
|Day 15||Lima||Onward to Lima: A leisurely start to our day sees us return to Lima late this morning. Enjoy an afternoon at leisure, then Dive Into Culture with your Local Specialist at the Larco Museum for an evening exploration of its collection of pre-Columbian art. We'll indulge in a memorable Farewell Dinner in the museum's garden.|
|Day 16||Quito||Travel to Quito: Transfer to the airport for your onward flight to Ecuador (flight not included in holiday price). Enjoy a warm welcome in Quito where you will be greeted at the airport and taken to your hotel.|
|Day 17||Quito||Uncover Historic Quito: Visit the historical centre of Quito, which was the first place in the world to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and travel to the 'Middle of the World' to stand on the Equator. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 18||Bartolome Island and Galapagos||Bartolome Island and Galapagos penguins: Discover a land that inspired Darwin to form his Theory of Natural Selection. On arrival at Baltra airport, transfer to the M/V Galapagos Legend. Sail to Bartolome Island, hiking to its summit for soul-stirring views, then snorkel in the midst of Galapagos penguins.|
M/V Galapagos Legend
|Day 19||South Plaza Islet||South Plaza Islet and the Famous Galapagos Sea Lions: Our first destination today is South Plaza Island, home to the famed Galapagos sea lions and the unusual prickly pear cactus tree which dot the island's red landscape. Next is North Seymour Island, on whose long sandy beach and rocks, the resident sea lions and marine iguanas sun themselves.|
|Day 20||San Cristobal Island||Uncover San Cristobal Island: We journey to Pitt Point this morning, ascending to a high point on the steep volcanic tuff hill to see if we can spot all three of the booby species simultaneously. Cerro Brujo's coral sand beach is our next destination, where we can connect with the resident sea lions or snorkel in the shadow of Witch's Hill.|
|Day 21||San Cristobal Island||Depart San Cristobal Island: Enjoy a first-hand encounter with the giant tortoises of La Galapaguera de Cerro Colorado, a tortoise reserve that protects the island's tortoise population. Your Galapagos exhibition at its end, transfer to San Cristobal Airport for your return flight to Quito. Airport arrival time in Quito will be at 7 p.m.; please be aware when booking your flights.|
- Land and Intra Air prices include economy air and air-related charges for flights between Rio de Janeiro-Foz do Iguacu, Cataratas del Iguazu-Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires-Lima, Lima-Cusco and Cusco-Lima and require purchase of round-trip air travel on LATAM between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class